Skills First Program – Victorian Government Funding

Am I eligible for  Skills First Program Victorian Government Funding?

Funding rules can be complex depending on your circumstances and education history. The easiest way to find out if you are eligible is to get in touch with us on 1300 123 242.

We can only confirm Government funding eligibility once you have selected a course and we have sighted all your relevant documents.

To be eligible for Skills First Funding you must reside within Victoria.

Generally, you are eligible for a Skills First Program funded training place if you are:

  • an Australian citizen; or
  • an Australian Permanent Resident (holder of a permanent visa); or
  • a New Zealand citizen and are any of the following:
    • under 20 years of age
    • 20 years or older and upskilling by seeking to enrol in a course at a higher level than your existing qualification.
    • have not commenced or scheduled to commence two or more government subsidised courses this year or currently undertaking 2 or more government subsidised courses
    • have not commenced two or more government subsidised courses/qualifications at the same Australian Qualifications Framework (AQF) level in your lifetime (excluding courses on the Foundation Skills List)

You can also check if you are eligible for Skills First Program funding using the interactive Victorian Skills Gateway Eligibility Indicator, or view the Fact Sheet – Skills First Eligibility Requirements (May 2017) fact sheet.

Evidence of Eligibility for Skills First Program Victorian Government Funding

Evidence of an individual’s eligibility for the VTG is to be sighted by the RTO for each eligible individual, prior to commencement in training, in accordance with these guidelines:

  • sighted by AGB Training employee or by a Certified Authorised Person.

Acceptable Evidence of Identification to Prove Eligibility

We will accept the following forms of identification when enrolling in our training courses:

  • Australian Birth Certificate – not birth extract
  • current New Zealand Passport
  • current Green Medicare Card
  • current Australian Passport
  • Naturalisation certificate
  • formal documentation issued by the Australian Department of Immigration and Citizenship confirming permanent residence.

If a birth date is not presented on identification above, the following identification must be presented:

  • current Drivers Licence
  • current Learner Permit
  • Proof of Age Card
  • Keypass Card.

Eligibility Criteria for Individuals Referred Under Particular Initiatives

Separate eligibility criteria applies for individuals who are referred under the following initiatives:

  • Asylum Seekers
  • Retrenched employees
  • Automotive Supply Chain Training Initiative

Please speak to one of our AGB Training representatives to discuss the above initiatives and eligibility criteria.

Determining the number of courses in which an individual is eligible to enrol in 2017

An individual is eligible to enrol in and commence a maximum of two government-subsidised courses in 2017. An individual is eligible to undertake a maximum of two government-subsidised courses at any one level in their lifetime.

Job Service Agent (JSA) and Disability Employment Services (DES) referrals

If a JSA/DES provider refers a student, the provider is responsible for paying 80% of the tuition fee with the student being responsible for the remaining 20 percent. The fees and charges for each party are outlined in the JSA/DES referral form.